Here at The Royal High Junior School, all girls benefit greatly from receiving Performing Arts lessons as part of their curriculum.
The girls learn Music, Drama and Dance in separate lessons, all taught by specialist teachers. Through the Arts the girls are encouraged to develop their creativity which stimulates and challenges the brain.
Our aims are as follows:
- Developing confidence - strategies to help the girls perform in front of an audience are extraordinary valuable and will help to prepare them for adult life, both personally and professionally. The triumph of performing on stage gives the girls a wonderful sense of achievement. It encourages aiming higher in all aspects of school life, overcoming obstacles and achieving greater goals.
- Self- discipline and self-motivation - girls are encouraged to continue their learning at home, whether it be practicing a dance routine, learning lines or rehearsing an instrumental piece.
- Learning memorising skills - an ability to retain information is a wonderful skill to possess and a fun and exciting way to develop this is through Performing Arts.
- Developing and improving musical skills - developing these skills offer significant advantages for children, enhancing co-ordination, teaching perseverance and sharpening concentration.
- Exposure to art and culture - as an audience member the girls can analyse, critique and praise their fellow performers. The impact of a wide cultural and artistic education are life-long.
- Teamwork - working on productions and performances promotes teamwork and develops individual talents – a winning combination.
The girls begin their dance education with classical ballet developing poise, technique, musicality and creative story telling. Juniors have the chance to explore many dance styles and cultures from national folk traditions to 20th century and theatre and world dance classics. Keen dancers can also sign up for additional classes in modern and tap. Girls have the opportunity to perform as part of assemblies, class projects and musical productions. The annual RHS Dance Show when Junior and Senior girls present a dance spectacular celebrates the diversity and the development of our pupils through their school career from Years 3 – 13. Dancing is a life enhancing skill that assists visual learners and promotes physical well being, good health and happiness.
We have an amazing team of Peripatetic Instrumental teachers at the Junior School and currently offer extra lessons in flute, guitar, clarinet, saxophone, piano, oboe, voice, cello, violin and harp. Girls are entered for ABRSM exams through the school when they are ready. Please speak to Mrs Millard if you would like your daughter to learn an instrument not listed. We also offer extra drama lessons where the girls have the opportunity to take part in the Mid Somerset Festival and are entered for LAMDA examinations.