We are delighted to be able to update you on the proposed GDST investment in The Royal High School’s sporting provision, as well as the other exciting developments that are planned on site.
The Senior School roof replacement project is well underway, and the work on the reservoir courts will result in a new landscaped ‘contemplation garden’ for girls and staff to enjoy.
In addition, we are planning to:
- resurface the two current netball/tennis courts at the front of the school building, resurface the existing all-weather hockey pitch and provide a spectator area adjacent to the Astroturf;
- create four new netball/tennis courts making a total of six netball courts on-site, along with additional car parking for cars and minibuses (which will also improve drop-off facilities for the Junior and the Senior School) on Paddock Field;
- build a fabulous new fitness suite and dance studio, for use by the whole school community;
- refurbish and upgrade the outdoor pool to improve the overall experience; and
- refresh the boarding facilities in both School House (the main school building) and Gloucester House (the sixth form house) providing a fresh, contemporary boarding environment.
Also, subject to some fundraising, we plan to convert Gatehouse into a dedicated Music School with recital space, classrooms and practice studios.
The boarding refresh is already underway and the resurfacing of the courts will take place over the summer holidays, with a completion date for both projects of September 2017. The other proposals above will now be subject to further design development and planning approval.
We will be holding an Open House event at school for parents and local residents to discuss the plans in depth, details to follow. We are committed to moving swiftly and anticipate that, subject to planning approval, all of the projects above will be completed during the 2018/19 academic year.
We are sure that you will agree that these are exciting plans which will enhance the excellent education which is already on offer at The Royal High School. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions please contact Ms Rebecca Barrell (Director of Finance and Operations) on 01225 731003 or send an email to RHSDevelopments@rhsb.gdst.net