A Brand New Music School
We passionately believe that music has the power to stimulate, to unite and to transform.
Girls at the Royal High School already benefit from the specialist skills of the excellent academic and peripatetic staff of our Music Department and from the plethora of opportunities provided to nurture and develop their musical knowledge and capabilities.
However, the environment in which our girls learn, rehearse and perform music could be so much better. Originally built for alternatives purposes over 100 years ago, the facilities are now simply not fit for purpose.
Therefore, we are embarking upon an exciting new project to build an outstanding, contemporary new Music School to inspire all of our students. From March 2019 work has begun to transform The Gatehouse on Charlcombe Lane into an inspirational space dedicated to music, for all girls to enhance their musical education, explore their creativity, and encourage even greater co-curricular participation.
Funding the new Music School
The GDST have invested £1.7 million to enable us to create our new Music School, due to open in Autumn 2019. These funds will allow us to create a building with:
- Bright, vibrant spaces with top quality lighting, acoustics, décor, ventilation and suitable classroom arrangements
- More large teaching rooms, which will provide a significant amount of increased space for groups to gather, to rehearse and to learn.
- A Recital Space to enable students of all abilities to perform more regularly, to inspire girls to perform to an even higher standard and allow audiences to hear their music in an acoustically and aesthetically-appropriate environment.
- New Practice Rooms, to provide sound-proofed spaces where instrumental lessons and small-group rehearsals can take place.
- Storage space for storing all instruments properly and safely.
The Recording Studio
At the heart of this project is the desire to motivate each and every one of our students to access music in a way that appeals to them. One of the ways we can achieve this is by installing a professional standard Recording Studio. Providing girls of all ages the chance to record, engineer and produce music of every genre, the Recording Studio will open the doors to an abundance of exciting opportunities for all.
However, we simply do not have enough funds to complete the final piece of the jigsaw and see our entire musical dream come to life. In order to buy and install the Recording Studio, we needed to raise a minimum of £65,000, with an ideal target of £100,000.
Through our first big fundraising appeal in many years, we are delighted to have achieved in excess of £85,000 towards our ideal target.