The benefits of reading
The benefits of reading are many and varied but when it comes to your mental wellbeing, experts are agreed that reading really does make a difference.
- Reduce your stress levels - Researchers at Sussex University have found that reading a book reduces stress by as much as 68% - more than going for a walk of listening to music.
- Improve your emotional wellbeing - reading improves emotional wellbeing by helping you to relax and escape into another person’s imagination, taking time out from your daily worries and concerns.
- Increase your knowledge - reading can increase your knowledge and understanding in a particular area of interest, enabling you to discover and absorb ideas following your own preferences.
- Improve your sleep - reading can help you to relax before bed which can support healthy sleeping patterns and create a better quality of sleep. Meaning you get to wake up refreshed the next day.
- Inspire your own imagination - picking up a book is a great way to encourage your creativity and contribute to your personal growth and development in a positive and life enhancing way.
So, take some time out over half term to relax, recharge, discover and read. And don’t forget to visit the Library to stock up on books!